Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Hypertension, diabetes, tests show high HbA1c. Sign of kidney failure?

My 50 years wife is hypertensive and diabetic since last 9 years. Her Hb A1C is 10.7%, and Urine Report has shown following: Glucose 28mmol/L Urobilinogen 3-2 umol/L Hemoglobin Small (+) Leucocytes 2 /HPF RB Cells occasional/HPF Bacteria few She takes Getryl, Glucophage for Diabetes and A2A for High Blood pressure. Does it mean that her kidneys are failing and what to do in this situation?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  162
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response

Thanks for writing in.

HbA1c 10.7 % for your wife is very very high. The medications she is taking for diabetes is not enough and the control is very poor.

As far as the question of kidney failure goes , we need to do the following two tests to determine whether the kidney is failing or not...

1. Urine albumin/creat ratio (urine microalbumin)
2. Serum creatinine

Please get back to us with these reports. We will be happy to advice further management.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist (online expert diabetes care consultantion)
Answered: Wed, 9 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Chaitanya Buch's  Response
Diabetes of 9 years duration at 50 years of age with HbA1c of 10.7% suggests that there is a NEED to IMPROVE CONTROL of Blood Sugar and bring A1c to TARGET of 7% or BELOW
The Urine report does NOT show Micro Albuminuria test or value which is a must to know Kidney Involvement by Diabetes so She needs to Undergo Urine Micral test and if abnormally high then needs to be put on ACE Inhibitor drugs to reduce proteinuria.Also proteinuria suggests involvement of Retina of the eye and so it is a good idea to get Retinal Check by Eye surgeon if not done in last one year.
Get back if need be by follow up question for clarification after the report
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor