Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Husband behaving irrationally, violent, aggressive, mood swings and depression. Can he be suffering from some form of bipolar? What can I do?

Hi, i ve been married to my husband for about 10 years and always thought his behaviour was sometimes completeley irrational, he has been violent and aggressive, suffers from extreme mood swings and has periods of depression . I firmly believe that he may be suffering from a form of bipolar but when i try and approach him about his behaviour he gets angry and thinks that it is all in my head and there is nothing wrong with him. His mood swings are becoming more frequent and it is starting to affect our 8 year old daughter, he needs help but i can t get through to him as he thinks there is nothing wrong with him. What can i do?
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  206
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Your situation is very difficult and I am deeply disturbed and sorry to hear about your suffering. It
's all the more painful because you are not the one with the problem, it's your husband. My first piece of advice to you is to protect yourself and your child from this man's outbursts. If you can, you should take your child and leave the house each time these outbursts occur. Notifying family members (and perhaps friends) of the situation will help to protect and support you to some extent. Your husband may indeed have bipolar disorder as you suspect, but more importantly he has a horrible lack of insight into his problem thereby making it impossible for him to understand his need for treatment. Because of this, his prognosis for improvement is very poor indeed. You cannot force him into treatment if he refuses it; however, a nicely written lawyer's letter on your behalf may help you. You may have to leave this man if he does not seek treatment for this intense problem. Best wishes and I hope things improve for you!
Answered: Mon, 2 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor