Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Hurt shoulder. MRI shows small tear in the rotator cuff, bone spur on acromion. Surgery required?

I was doing some underhand pitching about two months ago when I hurt my shoulder. I had x-rays, they showed nothing, so I was going to physical therapy , that didn t help, so I got a cortisone injection, that also didn t help. yesterday I had a MRI, it showed that I have a small tear to the rotator cuff and a bone spur on my acromion , I do believe. I was told to go talk to a surgeon next week. He said this abnormal sense I am a 16 year old girl. do you think surgery will necessary?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
I will advice you to first get a good physiotherapy,if this does not help then you should go for key hole surgery for decompression below acromian.

With best wishes.
Answered: Sun, 28 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Both Rotator cuff tear & degeneration of acromion are two different entities.

A trial of conservative management can be tried in both conditions.

• If tear is a partial or a small one then a trial of conservative treatment may be tried. Conservative treatment includes Analgesic antiinflammatory medicines along with physical therapy to strengthen the rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer muscles.
Steroid injections are contraindicated because they can cause the
remaining cuff to weaken and tear further
Surgical treatment is direct repair of the rotator cuff back to its bony insertion on the greater tuberosity; surgery can be open,
mini open (small split in the deltoid), or Arthroscopic repair.

• Initially treatment is with Analgesic antiinflammatory medicines and activity
• Steroid injections are frequently helpful in alleviating pain
• If conservative treatment fails, an arthroscopic or open distal clavicle
resection may be needed.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

Answered: Sun, 28 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor