Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Hurt my knee, bone bruised, feel a gap above the knee cap, no much pain or swelling. Treatment?

Playing indoor soccer last night my left kneecap banged into an opponents kneecap. It hurt a bit and feels like it might be slightly bone bruised, but what is weird is that when I slightly bend my leg there feels like there is an indentation or a gap directly above my kneecap which is not there on my right knee. Pain is not severe, I would say like a bone bruise. Range of motion and ability to bear weight is not an issue. There is not much swelling (slight swelling according to my wife) and not much bruising .
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  227
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on your description, I suspect a Partial Quadriceps tendon rupture in your involved knee.

An xray is needed to diagnose any associated patellar avulsions. Ultrasound examination or MRI scan will diagnose the condition.

Partial or incomplete tears are generally managed by nonsurgical measures by Rest, Ice packing, Compression and Limb elevation. The knee joint is immobilized in full extension for 4-6 weeks. Thereafter progressive knee range of motion exercises and quadriceps strengthening exercises are begun.

If conservative management fails, then a surgical reconstruction is indicated.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Mon, 9 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor