Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
190 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How to treat pigmentation on cheeks aggravated by chemical peels?

I am 38 yrs old lady,I developed black pigmentaion marks around my cheeks(these are not assocaited t o my pregnancy).I went for a pigmentaion removal programme comprising of chemical peels (yellow peel and cosmo peal).And after the completion of the package the pigmented part looks even worse.pls suggest a what should I do.
Fri, 30 Jan 2015
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

Facial pigmentation on cheeks is commonly known as Melasma.
It is idiopathic in most of those affected.
Treatment usually comprises sun protection and pigment lightening creams.
Chemical peeling is an adjuvant to overall treatment.
Peels can rarely cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, specially if sun protection is not strictly followed.
The most notorious of these is cosmo-peel (contain Trichloroacetic acid). It is a strong peel and usually gives good results once the skin peels off but if sun protection is not strict, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation/ PIH may develop with even minimal sun exposure.
The way out for this problem is also a peel but that is a different peel i.e glycolic acid, which is milder and also good for PIH/ Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
In addition I also suggest pigment lightening creams containing one or more of the following active ingredients e.g kojic acid, glycolic acid, hydroquinone and azaleic acid etc.
The mechanism of action of these agents is either to exfoliate existing melanin Or inhibit synthesis of new melanin Or both.
I suggest you to visit a dermatologist in your region for an exact visual assessment of your skin problem and the needful.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have darker face then body reason i bleave is sun exposure as i was on field work and cremes i use at my earlier age for acne. i am 34 age male....

Recent questions on  Plastic surgery

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor, Our kid fell down from 3 feet 3 days back. His head is directly hit the floor. There is no wound, but the surface of the forehead has...

doctor1 MD

We are off to Egypt and I believe we can get streptoquin there for tummy upset. Are you able to take this medicine if you are allergic to...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 25 years old and I keep developing these boils around my inner and upper thighs and around my buttocks. At any given time I get only...

doctor1 MD

hello dr.s,I am 29 years,2 years a go i had a rhinoplasty surgery 2 or 3 month aftre it my pains in the left side of ma face begin,the center of it...

doctor1 MD

I am interested in having a breast lift and implants...I am 59 years good health! I am a bit scared, never had any surgery before, lol,...

doctor1 MD

Hello, this question is for a dermatologist or a general surgeon . I suffer from multiple lipomas in my arms, thighs and back. My questions: 1) Is...

doctor1 MD

My whole scalp is now a (Gel). I went to Specialists Dermatologist Dr's etc. They did many biopsies took pictures and only told me it's in GRANULAR...