How to treat painful and swollen lymph node behind the ear?

8 year old with a swollen lymph node behind ear at base of skull. Child is otherwise healthy. No fever, no other symptoms, except for complaining the spot hurts. I do see a faint reddish purple spot above the swollen node (looks like broken blood vessel?) Do we need to go to the emergency room?
Fri, 11 Sep 2015
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand the concern,

The causes of swollen and reddish purple lymph nodes could be injury or infection.

If your son feel pain and tenderness in swollen lymph nodes then you should see surgeon who will examine you and prescribe the appropriate treatment according to consideration of your tests report.

The operating surgeon will take tissue from the swollen lymph nodes and will send for histopalthological examination.

The report might come within 48 hours, based on which the further treatment will be decided. If it comes negative there is no need to worry.

Meanwhile,you can your child analgesic gel or tablet available over the counter for symptomatic relief.