• question-icon

How to treat migraine?

I am a 34 yo female, healthy except for some odd issues over the years. At 20 I had about a weeklong migraine (no prior instances), followed by about six weeks of double vision. Multiple tests, visits to specialists, neurologists, etc., revealed nothing; an eye doctor finally said my right eye turned in slightly and that must have caused the problem until my brain learned how to map the images again. It went away as suddenly as it started. At 31, my left vocal cord became paralyzed, in an open position so that it didn t contact my right one anymore. An MRI and other tests revealed no potenial cause. After about two months of having a breathy, high-pitched and weak voice and having trouble swallowing without choking, I had surgery to get a shunt in place to move the cord to the middle so my other vocal cord made contact with it when I spoke or when they were closed. I have also had repeated episodes of vertigo, usually when lying down; at one point I saw an ENT who performed a procedure to help realign the particles of my inner ear. I have recently begun having several symptoms, including the vertigo when lying down, trouble focusing my eyes (it s sometimes easier to see if I put my hand over my right eye), fatigue even after sleeping well, trouble focusing and sometimes trouble finding words, and being clumsier than usual (dropping things). My fear is MS; this was mentioned by two previous doctors. Of course I d love to hear its something else, or nothing at all, but at this point it would be almost a relief just to know something instead of feeling like I m either crazy or just have some really bizarre health issues! Any advice or ideas? Thank you!
Wed, 4 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

First of all, to diagnose MS you should have 3-5 spherical lesions appear in the white matter by an MRI T2-Weighted, besides full neurological examination.

Second, the oral contraceptive pills which contain estrogen only can cause similar symptoms, so you should ask a gynacologist to find another way for birth control.

Third, you should do some investigations such as: measuring blood pressure and fasting glucose levels.

If the blood pressure were high, you should receive a medical treatment, do an ECG and an ECHO on your heart, besides decreasing salt and fat intake.

The regular examination of your eyes is essential to exclude increase the intraocular pressure. The diagnosis of migraine means that you do not have a systemic illness or take a drug that can cause a headache.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Dr/Mustafa, Neurologist