How to treat ear pain?

I was cleaning out my ear with q tips which i now realize you shouldn t use...anyway i had no problems except i had water trapped in my ear and it took a long while to get it out, i tried many methods. it eventually the disappeared but i exeperienced some pressure in my right ear which i put a warm damp cloth over and this stopped that and i was fine. This morning i woke up with linguing pains in my right ear, the left ear isn t as bad. They are sore and occasionally a sharp pain. I have booked an appointment to see my doctor on tuesday but should I be worried? should i be going to A&E?
Fri, 24 Oct 2014
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, thanks for your query. In my opinion, you might be having infection of your external ear. thus is very common after water enters the middle ear or after using Q tip. If I were your treating doctor, I would have prescribed penicillin antibiotics + anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol + diclofenac combination drugs twice daily for 3 to 5 days. Antibiotics ear drops may be helpful. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.