• question-icon

How to treat cluster headache?

I ve had cluster headaches for upwards of 40 yrs. I m male, 74, 80Kg. Generally good health. Sessions usually every 12 to 18 months, last 2 to 6 weeks, take half a 50mg Sumitriptan gives relief for 12 to 24 hrs. Sometimes 3 x 500mg Paracetomol helps if taken early but only lasts for few hours. This session noticed frequency and quantity of urinating, no pain on urinating but this time only have noticed a strong but not objectionable urine smell. ? UTI ?
Wed, 27 Nov 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

First of all, Sumatriptan should be used once to abort the attack,then you should take Indomethacin 25 mg three times per day after meals for 2 days,then 50 mg three times after meals for 2 days, then 75 mg three times after meals for 2 days, finally, 100 mg three times per day after meals.

Second, you should do routine investigations such as measuring blood pressure and do an CT Brain to exclude a focal brain lesion.

The dose of paracetamol could affect the liver functions, besides paracetamol is not suitable for your case.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Dr/Mustafa, Neurologist