Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

How to treat child suffering from west syndrome ?

Pance is 2,5 has a West,no problems noted at birth , spazam and epileptic start at 6 m with no eye contact .In my country he is the first,I don t know what to do,and what is the prognosis of this kind of child .I had never seen a child with West .He has responded well after ACTH on 2 years hi is much better hi don t have epileptic,hi is more awareness,hi start look in my face ,smile,steal has spazam and hi is working with teacher special education and rehabilitacion . I don t know what to do whit his hands putting into his mouth. Pleas tell me what do you think about his prognoss. Should I continuite working with defektologist or same one ells. Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  211
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query. If there is no organic brain disease then West syndrome has good prognosis without any developmental problems but most likely than not there will an organic brain disease which might lead to a developmental delay. Have a healthy living
Answered: Sun, 10 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic

Infantile spasm used to be treated with ACTH but new medicine like Vigabatrin is proved best drug these days. Better to consult your Paediatrician in this. There may be behavioral defect which can affect him. Prognosis cannot be commented as some children with other diseases along with West syndrome have worse prognosis than normal children with West syndrome. Around half of children will develop cognitive problems and some will develop seizures as well. Best to consult your Paediatrician for individual risk scoring and counselling in this regard.
Answered: Sun, 10 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor