How to treat back pain?

A few details about me:

Age: 31 years

Sex: Male

Height: 5.9

Weight: 88 Kgs

Profession: Software Industry that requires me to work sitting for hours

Diet: Non veg

Exercise: irregular at the moment, maybe once / twice a month a game of cricket

I drive to office in my car, spending about 1.5 hours a day driving

Problem Details: For the past 1 month I have been suffering from severe pain that originates from my back (about 3 inches below the base of my neck towards the immediate right of my back bone) and radiates down my right hand, up to my ring finger.

Specific points as it radiates down are:

1. The point of origin of pain

2. My right hand triceps

3. My elbow

4. Outer side of my forearm (Non palm side)

5. Non Palm side

6. Base of the ring finger

The pain gradually increases after I sit down for about 5 minutes, I get a lot of relief if I stand and bend backwards. The pain also decreases a bit when I sit but keep my back straight / a little bended backward. When I type, I feel the strain near my elbow, ring finger and outer side of my forearm.

I used to be a very active sports man during my schooling / college days, but once I started working (about 8 years), physical activity has taken a back seat and is very random. About 2 months back, I joined a cricket team and used to bowl for about 2 hours a day over weekends (Which I suppose could have strained my muscles). I remember not having warmed up / stretched well before bowling.

With all these symptoms, I had consulted two orthopedics; one of them had got two X-rays done of my neck / upper back and had also conducted basic checks. Both the X-rays revealed no abnormalities to the neck bone, back bone or discs; neither have the checks revealed any abnormalities. Both the doctors concluded that it was a case of ‘some nerve / muscle’ that has got strained and is what is causing the problem. The strain, as the doctors mentioned could have been due to bowling / any strenuous activity, incorrect posture and working style. I have also been told that my weight could be adding to my woes. I was advised to go to a Physiotherapist for about 7 days (IFT and Ultra sound) for the back and arm and was advised to take painkiller tablet and a muscle relaxant tablet. Besides this, I have been advised to follow some stretching exercises advised by the physiotherapist.

I have completed all of the above and still continue with the stretching exercise. Though there is a slight relief, I still have the same piercing pain specifically in the mornings and it is becoming increasingly difficult to carry on with my routine.
Mon, 2 Jun 2014