• question-icon

How to treat PSC and ascites with peritonitis?

I have PSC . however when I was first diagnosed I was told that I may have a variant . as this was in 2000 and I moved out of the area, I was then picked up a hepatologist locally. I have been symptom free until recently when I have had ascites with peritonitis which after treatment resolved. I then broke my hip and had a long gamma nail and dynamic screw fitted. I have since had pruritis and oedema which is not resolving. I have been looking into variants and donot have any IBD. and have responded well to steroids in the past due to asthma. I also have type 2 diabetes, insulin controlled. I have all my life been drug sensitive and am going through so many different meds to try to relieve this. please could you advise me if I should pursue this.
Mon, 12 Jun 2017

Various modalities are available.
- Pruritis control with antihistamines (as Benadryl), Loratadine bile acid binding drug or Rifampin type anti-bacterial drug
- Bile duct leakage control with balloon dilatation or stent placement
- Liver transplantation as ultimate resort
- Potassium sparing diuretics with dietary modification, multivitamins, minerals, antioxidants help

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel