How to strengthen the leg muscles?

For 18 my right leg from knee to foot hurts. It does not hurt to press on the leg. It especially hurts when i drive and thefoot presses on the gaspedal. Or on thebrake. In crampedback seat or airplane too. Also hurts wben I walk up hill. Extra exercisedoes not help a either does extra stretches. What really decreased the pain to two ( before at 7 for pain) Was when I stopped driving. I do not wish to give up driving.. But i can do that..but it does nothing for strengthening.....or increase My mobility. My doctor had suggested walking 3 miles a day and Stretching. That is not helping and I believe that this , leg is inflamed. Maybe,tendinitis or bursitis.?..? I do not knowenough to tell tbe Difference... maybe arthritis is also i nvolved. I am interested in how To strengthen and specific foods that might help. (What foods to avoid) Sincerely. Ria de Groot. 73 yrs old and not on any medicine
Tue, 31 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In order to strengthen your foot muscles u need to do muscle specific exercises like calf raises,assisted squats.also concentrate on diet by taking foods rich in protein, minerals like milk,eggs,fish,meat , Leafy vegetables.This will strengthen your legs and provide you relief.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.