How to straighten a hammer toe?

My mother is 93 and her toes are starting to turn under. She can t walk because she says it is like you are walking on a nub. We have tried medication, ointments, and etc. Nothing seems to help her toes straighten out. My question: Is there any type of wrap she could wear to help straighten her toes out maybe something made like a glove that is used for toes instead of hand where some light pressure with massage to get her toes straight again. Thanks!
Tue, 26 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

She is highly likely suffering from a condition called claw toes or hummer toes. These conditions are common in elder people. They are caused by arthritis or other underlying metabolic conditions such as diabetes or they may occur without any underlying disorders.
The management is aimed to treat underlying health condition. If claw toes or hummer toes are occurring without underlying disease you can use specially designed toe splints, cushions and toe crest pads to make toes comfortable. These devices may be purchased from pharmacy or online. They may provide pain relief and better toe functionality. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may be used in painful cases.

If non-medical treatment is not successful patients may be treated surgically.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you,
Malik Amonov MD