How to quit smoking?

Okay, well basically, I want to quit smoking, I have a calendar, I've tried for months, and it's not good. I don't have IBS, but it sure does show up when I smoke, otherwise my stomach is an iron belly, but not when I smoke.

I've been smoking for 10 years by the way, and I'm 25, I started at 16 and it's been terrible ever since. I use it to get through tough loads of school work, etc., but I know I don't need it and I know that mentally I'll be sharper and get even better grades than I am now if I quit. I am trying to increase my academic potential, my mental potential, and I have a hunch that quitting smoking will help me greatly, which is why I'm sending my query here. I don't want a hunch, I want to know.

When I smoke, I know effects of heart rate increase, blood flow decrease, etc., but what about neurons? I feel shaky and nervous when I smoke, it affects my social life, how do cigarettes affect neuron action potentials?

I am in a radiography class, so you can imagine that shaky hands aren't good when trying to take a radiograph of my own hand for practice, etc.

Ultimately my question is: Do cigarettes affect neuron action potentials, do they make them misfire (i.e. shaky hands, nervousness + anxiety)?
Mon, 12 May 2014
The answer is yes. Nicotine causes nervousness and anxiety during withdrawal period.
tobacco and nicotine are notorious for causing insomnia and many health problems.
regarding action potentials..nicotine dont have direct effect