Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

How to prevent heart attack?

Is there a generally available test I can take to prevent a future heart attack? My father had a triple bypass in his 50s (I am 49). Over the years my diet could have been healthier. Is there a test I can ask my doctor to arrange that would check if my heart is becoming blocked?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  203
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Start with an E.K.G, an EKG can give an indication of a blockage and give the doctor an indication if an angiogram is needed. Bypasses are not as common now as they used to be, because they can do angioplasty and insert a wall stent to open the artery, the wall stent keeps the artery open. I know that heart troubles run in families but just because your dad had a triple bypass in his 50's does not mean that you will have one (especially today) My dad died of cancer at age 43, I had cancer at age 23 and never in my life thought that I would out live my dad, well so far I have beat him by 16 years (I'm 59) but I do have clogged arteries including 50% blockage in the carotid arteries, have an aneurysm and little blood flow through my legs. Coronary disease runs in my family, my oldest brother died at 59 2 yrs ago and 10 days later my youngest brother had a heart attack at 54 (he survived). My suggestion is to change your diet, now, exercise and quit smoking, I should have followed my own advice maybe I would not be in the mess I'm in. See a cardiologist and follow his advice and you should be OK Good luck to you
Answered: Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor