How to manage renal calculi?

management of renal calculi?
Wed, 1 Aug 2012
Medical Procedures ,   ,  
Thanks for posting query.
Remember one thing clearly there is no drug which can melt ca oxalate stone only if you can take plenty of water it can come during urination by the force of urine but in your cases the chance is very low as the stone size crosses 6mm (up to 6 mm size one can wait and watch if he is asymptomatic).
All treatment options are surgical. The options available are ESWL (Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy), PCNL (Percutaneous nephrolithotomy), open nephrolithotomy based on the site and size of the calculus.
Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly
economi's  Response
Renal calculi (kidney stones) are usually treated by the 'watch and wait ' method if they are small (less than 5mm). 1) Dietary modification ( decrease amount of salt, protein and calcium intake) 2) Hydration (Drink lots of fluid) or, if very painful you may require IV hydration with pain medications 3) Extra corporeal shock wave therapy (yup, shock wave to break down the stone size to less than 1mm so they can pass on its own) 4) Surgery (Basket removal....passing urethroscope via the bladder into kidney area or ureter and removing the stone using a sort of 'basket'). **** The other surgical procedure is percutaneous (direct entry into the kidney via skin for those large kidney stone removal). Good luk