Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

124 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to manage hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

I have been diagnosed w/ hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. My cardiologist, Dr. Raza, increased my metropolol medication, and it has brought my blood pressure down about 10 points. Now my BP ranges from 130 systolic, 60-70 diastolic. Is he handling my condition properly? I have shortness of breath always. Helen Barnett, Bedford, IN
Tue, 26 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Beta blockers like Metoprolol are the first and the best choice for handling hypertrophy cardiomyopathy and preventing sudden arrhythmia that may come from that. You should not do forced physic activity and should take regularly Metoprolol.
I recommend you to visit regularly the cardiologist and do regularly cardiac sonography. A blood pressure in this values of you is good.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My husband has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopothy. He has had 2 incidents where the veins on his temple/forehead bulge and throb causing him discomfort. He is 45 yrs old and just had a re-check after the first year of knowing that he has HC. He had this 2nd episode after the Doctor appt. Naturally. It seems that both times this has happened it was very hot out. Could this be from dehydration or could it be related to the HC?

doctor1 MD

I am looking for a Cardiologist in the Cox system in Springfield Missouri. We have moved out of the Kansas City area and I have been treated for Hypertrophic Cardio Myopathy at The KU Medical Center by Dr Mark Wiley. Since Springfield, MO is much closer he has recommended A heart specialist in Springfield, MO, who was trained by Dr Wiley at KU med Center. The last name of the Physician is Rowe. Any suggestions on how to find him. Thanks for any clues you can give me.

doctor1 MD

My son has Restrictive Hypotropic Cardiomyopathy and a small vsd...his troponin level is at 7 and the Dr told him he is going to have a heartattack that will paralyze or kill him...his dad died 2yrs ago of Hypotropic Cardiomyopathy...what do I do...he is only 21...HELP...