Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to increase weight of children?

My seven year old son is very thin. He is not putting on weight. He si just 13 kgs. The boys of his age should be around 16kgs, I really donot know how to increase his weight. He really looks very thin compared to his schoolmates. He eats well and is very active. I tried giving him vitamin syrups also but there is no increase in his weight.
Thu, 2 Jun 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Checking for health related problems like allergy, Tuberculosis, anemia, worm infestations should be done before treating the child
Some children may be thin upto some age due to genetic reason.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
Piyush Pandey's  Response
my 6 yr old kid is also very thin, his bith wt was very good 3.2 kgs. but later he lost wt he is only 18 kgs. wat to do with these kids, they never eat green leafy vegetables, no egg, no fruits or vegetables. only kurkure, chips, lays. tell me how they can gain wt.
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Gym is the best way and good food habits will really help you in this.

drink milk daily. take one egg per day. take mor fruits and vegetables. you will gain

weight soon. dont give ulp gym activiteis.

  User's Response
jyotika's  Response
u try is a protein supplement..and try to change the menu every day...and make ah hobby for him so that he can..take egg daily.....we should take special care on diet..i know how difficult it is being a working ..women
  User's Response
ridhima's  Response
if you give the babies nutritious diet like ragi, dal (urd and tour), rice, ghee. give him more fruits and vegetables. my granny usually says there is no energy in cerlac or farex. home based food and mixes are more healthier and makes the baby mores stronger.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am from dehradun. My Height is 5fit & My Husband Height is 5 8 . I Have Twin child. They are 12 years old. But Height is not increase. Boy is 129 cm. & Weight is 25 & Girl is 132 cm & Weight in 24 How can increase height. They are so small another children please suggest Homeopathy medicine. Mob : 0000 Please reply

doctor1 MD

hi my 14month daughter is just around 8kgs.she was 3.2 kgs at time of birth and weight gain was good till 6 months (around 6.5kgs at the end of 6th month). However post that there not been much increase in weight. I give her medicine MIM as suggested by her paediatrician. She has max 400ml of milk in a day and just 2 meals sometimes 3 and 1 fruit. Morning if I give her breakfast (milkshake generally) she vomits. How do I increase her appetite?

doctor1 MD

hi sir,my height is 5 1 inch and my husband height is 5 5 inch please advise as i want my daughter and son to b taller plz advise me that how i can help them to grow taller?there height is also not increasing..:(my daughter s weight is 17.5 kg and height is 103 meters and her age is 5years and 3months and my son height 95 meters,weight is 20kg and age is 2 yrs 11months

Recent questions on  Weight loss

doctor1 MD

I am 74 y/o male who's been losing weight over the past 3 months. Total weight loss has been 3 kilos for 3 months. I have been constipated and my bowel movements have been irregular but my appetite has never changed and I still eat pretty well. I don't have any abdominal complaints. What could be causing this? I also eat fiber-rich foods but to no avail, I'm still constipated.

doctor1 MD

had hip replacement 3 years ago and got bacterial infection and after 6 weeks being hospitalised and course of anti biotics was cured and discharged with a weight loss of 10 per cent.Since then I have not regained the weight loss,and over the last few months have lost a further 10 percent in weight......I am now 13 stone and 6 feet 1 inch height and 76 years of age,I have reasonable energy levels and feel o.k. but worry about this continual weight loss.I have a reasonable appetite and eat regular meals.

doctor1 MD

hi im a mother 40 years old did the gastric band since 9 years i took the perfect results but since 2 years now this band stop working for a reason my dr told me sometimes it happened when its old so i gain 8 kilos in 2 years my question is is it dangerous if i remove it and put new 1. is it better to remove and do the 1 that u fold the stomach coz lot of doctors advice me to do that 1 if i decide ti remove it the band pls advice me is it safe to remove the band usually pls i dont to keep it and no benefirt from it

doctor1 MD

Tightening the Tummy Iam 51 years old and weigh 77kgs.Recently I have lost 6 kgs and my weight stabilized at 77 kgs which works out to a BMI of 25 as my height is 5’10”.I maintain regular exercise -aerobics,strength training,abdominal exercises and evening walk of 4 kms.I eat selectively without oil,less Non veg,less sweets,more fruit and water ,steamed vegetables,sprouts,Almonds(4 nos) and 1 egg white.When I go to gym I take whey protein of 30 gms. My problem is with my stomach muscles.Inspite of my exercise and moderate food habits I have a stomach of 36 inches.When I sit down I have to adjust my belt by changing the hole.When I wear underwear I feel very tight in abdominal area.Thats why I stopped wearing underwaear except when I exercise. I consulted a specialist who is into weight loss surgery like gastric band and sleeve who initially suggested to go for liposuction.When I requested for a non surgical solution he offered me a complimentary session on Radio frequency Tripolar machine.He promised that I will loose 2 inches over 6 sittings.For each sitting there should be a gap of 2 weeks.He says the skin also will be tightened apart from fat reduction in the tissues.I have also read that this can be done by Ultrasound Lipolysis and Zerona laser treatments. Please suggest me which is ideal for reducing my stomach sag.

doctor1 MD

I am a 39 year male and I am urinating every 30 minutes to 1 hour. I don't have any pain or discoloration. Just concerned at how often im going I'd like to know what this could be if anything dangerous or to be concerned of.

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?

doctor1 MD

How much ghee is good in a day if I have normal health reports