Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
147 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How to identify whether it s a UTI or yeast infection?

I can t figure out whether I have a UTI or a yeast infection, or both! I tested slightly positive with the UTI test, but the burning sensations I get are on the inside of my vagina, not from where I urinate. If it was a UTI wouldn t that area be burning rather than the vaginal walls? The outside of my vulva will also burn sometimes. This morning after I urinated, I had extreme vaginal burning for over 2 hours even after using Monistat cream, and then the burning finally subsided. I ve been using Monistat for 2 days now, and today I just started with some light spotting from my vagina. It usually doesn t burn except when I have to pee. Should I discontinue use of the Monsitat?
Mon, 7 Dec 2015
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
From history it seems that there might be having bacterial infection on lower genital tract producing soreness, redness resulting in burning pain in vagina.
You might require one course of antibiotic medicine for 5-7 days.
There is no h/o itching, yeast infection is less likely.
Consult gynaec and get examined.
Keep local hygiene clean and dry.
Ok and take care.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Okay so I thought I may be getting a UTI and so they prescribed me septra and had some sort of a recaction so now right as you would insert A...