How to have immediate relief from the shooting pain of bone fracture?

My mom has an L3 bone fracture. Unbearable pain shooting from back of right hip down her right leg with sever pain at the side of the Right Calf.On Pain medication and on wait list for Pain mngmt clinic.PT was suggested.She enjoys the heat and the cold packs.Please tell me if a Physiatrist PT is the only way to go with her.Thanks
Sat, 18 Aug 2018
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

To get relieve from shooting pain she can take Naproxen, Ketoprofen, Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen under the consultation of the PCP. Pain relieving sprays can also be used if required. She can take it either orally or via, IV Injections.

Psychiatric PT is suggested when the patient cannot endure the pain and its the pain management department that can take care better. She can get relieve if she gets under Psychiatrist PT.

Regards.