• question-icon

How to get the VDRL to be negative?

hello,
Yesterday i went to the clinic for pregnancy monthly check-up.
My baby was in good condition but what make me worries is my blood test result which is show VDRL is reactive but TPHA is negative.Is that any possibility that VDRL become negative? What is my condition actually because my doctor said i'm not syphilis?Can the disease can be cured?
Mon, 1 Sep 2014
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
VDRL is a nonspecific test for Syphilis and becomes reactive in conditions other than Syphilis also, usually in low titre and called as Biological False Positive. If TPHA is also positive then it is confirmed as the individual has syphilis. TPHA would never be positive in conditions other than Syphilis. So you need not worry about Syphilis. Syphilis is totally curable Sexually transmitted disease.
S.Murugan