Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

How to get recover from knee & calf swollen without getting a surgery ?

what should i do if i had a bucket handle tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus with flipped fragment posteriorly I twisted my knee when i was playing basketball 2 months ago. My knee and the calf muscle is swollen. After having a MRI scan. My doctor told me there's something wrong with the knee. He gave me the the report and it said there's a tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus. My doctor suggest me to get a surgery from some specalist, but i dont want to. I wanna know if the knee will recover naturally or is there any ways to get it recover without getting a surgery.
Asked On : Mon, 5 Apr 2010
Answers:  6 Views:  8726
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Please remember the following issues with meniscal tear.
1) This will not cause either giving away sensation of knee nor buckling of the knee. This happens with ACL injuries. Meniscal tears cause pain and other mechanical issues.
2) Meniscal tear usually wont heal spontaneously or with any medications.
3) Unless the meniscal tear is in the periphery (red zone) they can't be repaired, rather they will be trimmed arthroscopically.
4) Removing the part of the meniscus may relieve you from mechanical pain.
5) Usually the results of surgery to lateral meniscus are poor compared to medial meniscus.
6) Menisectomy won't eliminate the chances of future arthritis. Infact many patients with previous menisectomy develop arthritis because part the cushioning effect is removed.
Answered: Wed, 29 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. S S Soni's  Response
You should go for a therapeutic arthroscopy, which means your arthroscopic surgeon will decide on the table what is best for you, as I do with my patients. It won't recover,by any mean,by conservative treatment. Many a times MRI scan also doesn't give the exact information. Only by arthroscopy, it can be find out what is the exact injury & what may be the best surgical procedure i.e. a partial menisectomy or meniscal suturing. Also, the associated lesions i.e. ACL tear or any other lesions, can also be find out & treated appropriately
Answered: Sat, 1 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Narayan Hulse's  Response
Happy new year !!!

1) Giving away is the classic symptom of ACL injuries not the meniscal tears.
2) Infact menisectomy is still the most common athroscopic procedure performed across the world, not the meniscal repairs ! These are usually partial menisectomies. How much of the meniscus is removed depends on the type of the tear. Total menisectomy should be avoided if possible. Meniscus is cut until the ragged edges are removed and a stable margin is reached. Some of the badly ragged tears will require extensive resections.
3) Meniscal repair is done only for few selected types of tears (red or red-white zones) especially in very young people.

Answered: Fri, 31 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Harish's  Response
You need to undergo Arthrosocpic repair or Meniscial balancing surgery. Arthroscopy is a key hole surgery where in the interior of your knee joint is visualised with aid of a endoscopic camera connected to a television. This procedure is both diagnosis as well as therapeutic. After evaluation of the tear Meniscus can either be repaired with sutures or will be trimmed to give a uniform contour. If left the tear can extend and can cause symptoms like locking, giving away sensation of knee, buckling of knee, pain and ultimately will lead to degenerative arthritis of knee.
The procedure is usually done by a Orthopaedic surgeon trained in Arthroscopy
Answered: Wed, 29 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  Anonymous's Response

the tear in the posterior of the lateral meniscus is an injury and tear. it will grow by itself but it will lead to an inorderly growth giving rise to problematic knee in the form of pain and reduced range of movements of the knee. it is only surgery that can repain and allow the menisci to grow in proper fashion

Answered: Mon, 12 Apr 2010
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Harish's  Response
I with the other doctor that doing a meniscial balancing surgery or suturing would not guarantee a normal knee. The reason being the poor healing capacity of the menisci. Such a surgery would only reduce the chances of progression to arthritis.

I would like to get to the notice of a doctor about a reference from one of the well accepted orthopaedic books about the following sentence - "once the tear in the meniscus becomes of significant size, more obvious symptoms of giving way and locking may develop".

Also it is a well known fact that meniscectomy is not done now-a-days, as it leads to early arthritis. The meniscus is only trimmed, if it is not a viable option to repair
Answered: Fri, 31 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor