Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

How to deal with a teenager having casual approach towards life ?

Nowadays i am quite worried about my brother. He is 19 yrs old. At schooling he was above average student. From childhood he had sharp mind but casual approach Now he is in BCom 2nd year but he is still continuing that casual approach which leads his failure in 1st year. He wasted his one academic year and about to waste second. We tried to tell him in all the possible ways we know but in vain. We never forced him to take a particular field he has taken it on his own but god knows where the problem arises. My mother used to compare him with his friends and our cousins but now from last 1 2 yrs she stopped it as it may cause a depression . His behavior is becoming a cause for mental stress to my parents and so to me. Please suggest what to do.
Asked On : Thu, 24 Mar 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  108
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, welcome to HCM. You need to understand that in juvenile age when children move from one institution to another there occurs a change in perception towards life. There own houghts come up and there own ideology takes over from the ideology taught to them by parents and teachers. You need to give him his space of life but in the meantime not leave him totally free. There should be simultaneous freedom as well as awareness of responsibility. Gently make him aware about bitter truth of life how self sustainance is necessary despite all the family support. You can take him to a psychiatrist for further help. Wish you good health.
Answered: Wed, 31 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
There could be some incident stress in him which is making him change his outlook and behavior. You being his brother may be best to help find out what's going on wrong in his life especially if you are close to him. Maybe he doesn't like the Course he has taken or he is not adjusting well in College or with the people there. Or he has some personal problem. These need to be worked out. You need to gain his trust and get him to confide in you. He may need your help in solving issues in his life at the moment. If you are not able to help him, it would be best to get him to see a Counsellor or Psychiatrist to understand the problems he is facing and find a rational way to manage that without getting his life out of track.
Answered: Sat, 20 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi, welcome to healthcaremagic
The situation which you all are facing has become quite common,reason is more of psychological kind. your brother might had been low in his childhood being younger child and now when he is getting mature he is just apposing what u all expect from him to show his own importance. So this matter will not be solved easily consult to some psychiatrist for his counselling.
Till that time be friendly with him, give him enough space & time to express himself,dont condemn him, forget to get irritated on him, try to appriciate his positive aspects & dees as well.
Find out his best and actual friend who can persuate him about the right way of life.Because he wont listen to u at all so dont try it.
Psychiatrist will show u the way to treat him and be hopeful
Answered: Thu, 24 Mar 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor