• question-icon

How to cure ulcer in the duodenum?

Dear doctor, i undergone a upper gi endoscopy and found that i have a moderate duodenitis D1 and D2 in scanned report.Doctor said i have a ulcer in duodenum.what is the way to get through this.Frequently the gas is coming out of my throat and in the morning especially i feel something is stuck in the throat.I was prescribed with reflux gel and protopan.this affecting my quality of life and suggest me for better way to throw away this diease
Fri, 4 Jul 2014
Hi this is Dr. Subhadeep.Thanks for the opportunity to help you.

As from the reports it is evident that you have Duodenitis and Ulcer in duodenum, but it is not mentioned whether they have taken a biopsy from ulcer edge and whether your biopsy report suggests H.Pylori infection.Treatement for simple Ulcer with Duodenitis is different from H.Pylori infection remedy.I assume you don't have H.Pylori infection but will give treatement for both.

Advise for simple Ulcer with Duodenitis:-

1)Tab pan d 40 mg 1-0-0x1month before food
2) Syrp.Mucaine gel 2tsp 1-1-1x 1month before food
3)Life style modification:- stop smoking,alcoholism,spicy and fatty food.
4)Reduce weight.daily exercise.
5)Take frequent small meals
6) Get an USG abdomen to rule out Cholecystitis or Cholelithiasis.If these conditions are present necessery steps have to be taken.

if your biopsy from the ulcer edge shows H.Pylori infection then the treatement is:
T.Amoxycillin 500-750 mg 1-0-1+T.Metronidazole 400mg 1-0-1+T.pantoprazole 40mg1-0-1 for 14 days before food then only T. Pantoprazole 40mg 1-0-1 for 2 months. Kindly get back to me regarding the biopsy report.Hope this consultation was helpful
Dr.Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Duodenum ulcer (or stomach ulcer) should be treated with medicines called PPI (proton pump inhibitors). Protopan is such medicine. It is extremely necessary for healing process even if affecting your quality of life. Please note that an ulcer is a kind of wound in the duodenum. This wound is getting worse by an acid. So it can not get healed without acid blocking. That's what Protopan do.
You should also avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, chocolate, orange juices.

Hope this will help.
Regards.