Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How to cure slipped disc?

Hi doc, im a 40 yrs female having a slip disc problem and on simple medication. Doctors have adviced me bed rest for few days. Im very confused and want to know what actually slip disc is? is it cured properly? can i live a normal life doing all activities like driving,climbing stairs at home and all normal household affairs? Please help me because im getting very depressed. Thankyou.
Sat, 31 May 2014
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
The vertebrae in the spine are separated by a spongy tissue which is the disc. If the disc ruptures, the tissue in it can slide out of its normal place. This narrows the space between the vertebrae and may cause pressure on the nerves in the spine. This is called a slipped ("herniated") disc. This usually heals up on its own without any specific treatment except control of the pain. Some people may need physical therapy or even surgery to fix it. Once it has healed, you can live a normal life and do all your activities as before. I personally had a very bad slipped disc when I was your age. I took some medication for the pain and did not have surgery. The disc healed and I have been able to do all the activities that you mention since then. So there is certainly much hope that this will happen with you too, and no need to get depressed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have two queries. Firstly my grandmother who is suffering from either slip disk or from osteoporosis.Some doctors say its the...