Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

How to control pain in Avascular necrosis of the bone

following an accident where i broke my bone of the right wrist i had to undergo surgery for the fixation of the bone, even after 3 months of the treatment my pain is still persisting. my doc said there is avascular necrosis of the bone. all my movements are normal. but pain is still persisting .how to get rid of this pain?
Mon, 5 Aug 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Hello Michael,
Please mention your age. Assuming that you have visited an orthopaedician, it sounds to me like a scaphoid non union or Preiser's disease.
If you have given up with rest, ice, compression bandaging and analgesics for 4-6 weeks, I would suggest an MRI of the wrist (if not done yet) to assess the vascularity of the proximal part of the bone. After confirming the diagnosis and assessing the severity of its involvement, a surgery i.e (a)revascularization procedure or (b)excision of the scaphoid and fusion of other wrist bones can be planned for.
Get back to me if you think my terms were too geeky.
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Khaleel Ahmed.Manik's  Response
an MRI has to b got done , that will give a clear picture of wt next to b done. after MRI 2 optios 1 revascularisation or exision of scaphoid.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

With an emerging era of stem cell which has brought ray of hope for patients suffering from AVN ,early diagnosis and intervention with stem cells prior to collapse of the femoral head is the key to a successful outcome of joint preserving procedures.

We use your own cultured Osteoblasts from the bone marrow to regenerate your hip joint .( using your own bone marrow we culture around 50 millions of Osteoblast cells over period of 4-5 weeks and inject it back to your hip joint.)

For any query, feel free to contact me .


Dr.Dinesh p
  User's Response
My mother had also had similar problem, she saw an orthopedician. He said the bone has avascular necrosis and he did some operation, now she is fine
  User's Response

Which bone of the wrist is it?

I don't think that medications will help.You could try steroid injections ,otherwse an operation to fuse the bones.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

You can ask your doctor for pain killer tablets or injections for the pain. You just see the doctor and explain regrading your pain.

  User's Response
You should see good orthopedician for this since it requires immediate attention
  User's Response
It mains the bone is becoming dead so it needs to be immediately tackled. So you need to take it serious and take the immediately the treatment
  User's Response

it may be a case of sudecks dystrophy ,consult physiotherapist for IFT,or ultrasound

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor