• question-icon

How to confirm a TIA?

Hi, my name is Julie and I am 54 yrs old. On the 22 oct 2011 I had a TIA which lasted a few hours, I was subsequently hospitilized for 4 days. I had a CT scan which was normal, and a MRI on the 3rd day which showed multiple discrete foci of hyperintesities within the subcortial white matter of the frontal lobes and and an additional small subcortial focus at the fronto-parietal junction, Conclusion maybe small vessel disease. I had numerous blood tests checking for vasculitis, multiple sclerosis, lupus, lyme disease, rheumatoid arthritis and immunity which all came back negative. The only thing the Doctor who is a specialist in nuclear medicine suggested doing was to do a yearly MRI. He is on holidays now and yesterday the 3rd dec I woke up with a terrible headache and a couple of hours later after sitting I began walking like I was drunk and my legs went like jelly. I thought I was going to have another TIA but it only lasted for a minute or two and I returned to normal. I am very worried about having another TIA or worse. What do you think I should do?
Tue, 10 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

First of all, you should take aspirin 160 mg twice per day to avoid another attack of TIA.

Second, you should do some investigations such as: measuring blood pressure, lipid profile in the blood.

If you had hypertension or the lipid profile was high, you should take medical treatment, decrease salt and fat intake besides doing an ECG and an ECHO on your heart.

The regular MRI Brain is advisable in your case. The woman who take oral contraceptive pills or a hormonal replacement therapy should ask a gynacologist for help.

Third, vitamin B complex once after meals and Benfotiamine twice per day after meals are important for the healthy nervous system.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Dr/Mustafa, Neurologist