How should vaginal discharge and odor due to a tampon be treated?

I had been noticing a foul oder and brown discharge and wasn t sure what it was. I have an IUD and went to check it with my finger and found that there was a tampon that had been left in there. I have no idea how long it was in there and was wondering if I need to go see a doctor. I haven t had a fever or muscle aches, no rash, or flaking skin. I did have a little bit of cramping, but it was only for around an hour maybe. I don t think any of it seems like TSS, but I wanted to make sure.
Thu, 8 Nov 2018

Consult a gynecologist and get it removed. The left behind tampon might have caused local infection and causing the symptoms.

A short course of antibiotics may also be required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,