How safe is nuclear Stress Test at the age of 71 years ?

i am 71 yrs old. how safe is Nuclear Stress Test at jaydeva cardiology hospital bangalore india
Fri, 26 Aug 2011
Hi;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
A radioactive substance which is called a radiotracer is injected in the patient through the vein which goes into blood and there by reaches heart muscles.Then the stress test is performed like regular stress test and photos are taken with camera with gamma rays and photos before stress and after stress and the two photos are compared to find the condition of the coronary arteries .Being nuclear test this identifies better the areas which have less blood flow and thus the diagnosis is made.The risk is the intolerance of the radiotracer if the body of the patient does not accept it or is allergic to.Please discuss further details with your cardiologist.
Thanks
General & Family Physician Dr. Savita Mishra's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Nuclear stress test is safe from radiation as well as cardiac point of view. You will first be given a test dose of the radioisotope to check for any possible allergy. Thereafter you will be taken on a table after the complete dose of isotope is given to you and some drug will be given to give a little stress to your heart which will be completely monitored. The vascular perfusion of the heart muscles will then be analysed through camaras which capture the radioimmisions.