As per my surgical experience, the natural healing process after surgery of lateral anal sphincterotomy is around 3-4 weeks duration in usual instances.
However, there are various reasons for persistent bleeding at a period of 6 weeks after surgery as
- hard stool via constipation
- straining during defecation
- unhealed scar
- food habits
- consumption of high amount wine, tobacco
- infection at operative part
- uncontrolled diabetes
- unresolved chromic catgut or vicryl suture causing tissue reaction
Kindly consult me in my OPD if you wish for further guidelines in this instance.
Till the time being, sitz bath, bulk laxatives and local application of xylocaine
(5%) jelly help great.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon