How long should Percocet be taken after a spinal fusion surgery?

Hello! On 4/20 and 4/21, 7 weeks ago, I had spinal fusion surgery, then ankle surgery, tibia surgery (with hardware) and a complex total left hip replacement. While in hospital I was taking 10 mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours continuously. Now at home recuperating I have been taking 10-325mg Percocet every 5 hours for about 3 weeks now. Last night before sleeping I decided to wait 7 hours before taking another to try to gauge my pain level. After 7 hours, I didn t really feel anymore pain. But I DID feel the surgical hardware sites a bit more. No pain, just the sensation of them being there. My main concern is how and when should I wean myself off of the Percocet.
Wed, 29 Aug 2018
Neurologist 's  Response

Percocet is not a drug which plays any role in the success of the surgery, doesn't offer any benefit to the fusion process. Its indication is only pain control.

The less it is used the better as it has dependence development potential. So if you do not feel the need to use it to control the pain I suggest you wean yourself off of it.

May start by taking 5/325 mg Percocet (containing the only 5mg of oxycodone instead of 10) for a week, then 2.5/325 mg for another week and then may interrupt it altogether or take simple acetaminophen (Tylenol) if in mild pain.

You may even try to interrupt it completely since you haven't been taking it for very long might not feel any significant withdrawal effects, but the above scheme would be more prudent.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.