How is medical management of miscarriage done?

My husband and I learned today that I ve had a miscarriage. We tried to ask the staff at the early pregnancy unit that I needed a scan 2 days ago when I started to notice some bleeding but just advised me to monitor myself at home. We eventually convinced the unit to scan me today and learned that I have to make a decision what management to take. I am still confused. I am a healthy woman with no other health issue apart from being 40 and almost everyone in my family and close friends seems to imply that the best option is the surgical management. I ve never had any surgical procedure or anaesthesia. I am scared. Please give me advice.
Mon, 10 Sep 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Medical management includes induction of an abortion using medication under medical surveillance. Prior sonogram to locate the gestation sac and the age of the pregnancy. blood counts and urinalysis are done. The procedure can be done until 8 weeks of pregnancy with good results. Follow up is done after two weeks to check for any retained products of conception and this includes a clinical evaluation and a sonogram of the pelvis. You can plan depending on the age of your pregnancy and the available medical facility.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
General & Family Physician Dr. Shinas Hussain's  Response

You can consult a gynecologist and take drugs like Misoprostol and Mifepristone. These are prescription drugs and you can not avail it over the counter.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.