Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

How is lazy eye or Amblyopia treated ?

hi Doctors, I am Umesh Jawale here, My daughter is 12 years old, she is having lasy eye problem. & doctors are saying that there is no treatment for same. Please guide me how to stop increasing this problem or way to overcome this problem.
Asked On : Mon, 23 May 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  182
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello welcome to Healthcare Magic.........
Lazy eye can be due to two reasons 1) Refractory error 2) Strabismus .
Refractory errors if any needs correction with glasses or contact lens.
The management is to rest the normal eye by padding and making the lazy eye to work.
Is there is strabismus- squint then surgery may help too.
But the prognosis is always guarded.
Answered: Mon, 23 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Umesh, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
Do you have the family history for the same? What exactly are her symptoms? Is her vision normal or is she having crossed eyes? She is suffering from Amblyopia (LAZY EYE), It is s the loss of one eye's ability to see details. This occurs when the nerve pathway from one eye to the brain does not develop during childhood. As a result abnormal eye sends a blurred image to the brain. This confuses it and the brain learns to ignore the image from the affected eye.
If she has vision problem, she will require corrective eye glasses. I am sorry to tell you this that After age 10, only a partial recovery of vision can be expected. If she is having crossed eyes, get her examined by a Ophthalmologist as she will require various other tests to know the severity of misalignment. Initially she will require glasses and then a patch is placed over the better eye. This forces the weaker eye to work harder. If the eyes still do not move correctly, eye muscle surgery may be needed. After surgery, the eyes may come to normal alignment but vision problems may persist.
Kindly get a second opinion from a Ophthalmologist.

I Wish her Good Health.
Answered: Mon, 23 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor