Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

How is high bilirubin content treated ?

I am a 23 year-old white male currently in excellent health. I just had a full panel of bloodwork done because I have had a swollen lymph node in my neck for two months (following a swollen lymph node under my jaw bone after I bit my cheek ). All of the bloodwork came back normal (no flags) except for Bilirubin total which is 2.8 (high). Should I be concerned and what could be causing this? Could this be in anyway related to having an appendectomy in December 2010?
Asked On : Tue, 27 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  350
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
An elevated bilirubin can occur in many conditions like liver disease, haemolytic anemias etc. In order for me to help you better, please answer the following questions:
a. Which fraction of bilirubin (direct or indirect ) is elevated?
b. Do you consume alcohol? If yes, how much and how frequently?
c. Have you been exposed to any infected blood or have you had unprotected sexual intercourse with anybody who has been infected?
Till then, please refrain from consuming alcohol ( if you do) and eat a healthy and balanced diet.
This is not related to the appendectomy you had earlier on.
Awaiting your reply.
Answered: Tue, 27 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor