Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How i get rid of whooshing & heart-beat sound in one ear ?

I hear a whooshing, heart-beat sound in one ear. What s that about and how do I get rid of it?
Tue, 5 Jul 2011
Report Abuse
  User's Response
's  Response
You may have problems with so called pulsatile tinnitus. Tinnitus is a disorder in which a person hears sound when nothing’s causing it externally (when there is no such sound). This sound may be perceived as whistling, ringing or maybe even machinery sound. Pulsatile tinnitus is a disorder when you experience the noise sound with the heart beat and you may perceive it as a heartbeat. It has been found that this happens when the blood flow in the vessels near the ear alter. These vessels may be large arteries and veins in the neck and base of the skull and smaller ones in the ear itself. This may happen when blood flow in the body increases like it does during exercise or anemia. It may also happen when some of the blood vessels narrow, so the surrounding vessels need to carry more blood and this increased flow causes the noise or if arteries harden and blood does travel smoothly as it usually does and this turbulent flow may cause the noise. You should address a doctor about this and have some proper exams. They would perform hearing tests, check blood vessels, and probably order some sort of imaging tests like an ultrasound, mri, ct scan, mra, etc Your treatment would depend on the cause.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been having a whooshing sound in one of my ears, with every heart beat, hearing my heart beats in my ear with the whooshing sound ... will be accompanied by a funny feeling in my head (brain???) as well as pressure and an odd pain at the back of my neck and head and sometimes with an odd sensation down my arm.

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a heart beat sound in my ears. It came on suddenly a couple of days ago and although i dont notice it much in the day with everyday sounds around me when i am in a quiet room or put my fingers in my ears I can hear the whooshing sound very clearly which is in time with my heart beat. A dr has looked in my ears and they are clear. I just want it to go away. Please help

doctor1 MD

hi my name is Alisha Kelly I have a few question.I had went to the doctors today to find out what was going on with my right ear I hear a whooshing sound in my ear and I also so of here like I have a helicopter in my ear and it from when I went to the doctor they told me that my heart was beating faster than normal I have been short on breath everything I do makes me shorter on Breath I have very little chest pain I had taken my own pulse and what I got was 129 minute I m not a nurse or anything but I think that s how you do it and that s what I got I just want to know is this something that I should be concerned about and go to the emergency room and see what may be going on or wait for 3 weeks and I go see my doctor