How effective is coreg cr for fast heart rate and hypertension?

26y/o male, recently had an episode of high blood pressure (180/110). Doctor prescribed me Lotrel (5/20mg) BP came down to ~120/90. Stopped taking Lotrel after first day, BP shot up to 170/122, went to emergency. Saw my doctor yesterday, checked blood and urine work (all clean), did EKG and said I have a fast heart rate (~90-95bpm) and hypertension. Prescribed me Coreg CR 80mg.

Is the Coreg CR necessary? I'm afraid that such a high dose would drop my heart rate down too low.

thank you.
Tue, 27 Sep 2016