How does it affect you when a carodid artery is completely blocked off ?

how does it affect you when a carodid artery is completely blocked off ?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
As long as a patient has ONE carotid artery open, they can live a long, normal life with a completely closed carotid artery. The body can send blood to the brain through the open carotid artery as well as the vertebral artery system. The blockage in the closed artery quickly becomes "set" and won't move. When the artery FIRST closes, the patient may have a stroke or a TIA (mini-stroke). Most vascular surgeons won't operate on an occluded carotid artery. The risk of causing a stroke from the surgery is very high.