How does drinking affect the liver?

Myy y wife’s gp told her that she needs to take the test that checks for a smooth liver . Is this serious? She probably does. Drink too much in the late asfterrnoon to “calm down”. Drinking is her “Xanax” she says. I have Parkinson’s and she takes care of me daily. We are both retired. Thanks in advance for your reply. Dennis rochester Hills, mi I
Thu, 26 Apr 2018

Metabolism of alcohol occurs in liver. Metabolites are toxic and damage liver cells called hepatocytes.

Liver is an essential organ in over body. It takes part in protein synthesis. If liver is damaged than protein synthesis is also hampered.

You can check liver damage by doing liver enzymes test SGOT and SGPT. You can also diagnosed liver damage by ultra-demography.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Divyesh Sondarva