How do you know if your heart is enlarged?

How do you know if your heart is enlarged ?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
By Palpation. Xray chest AP view (not PA view). ECG. Echo-cardiogram. There can be accumul;ation of fluid in advance stage.

my husband is 42 and has an enlarged heart and his doctor told him that they are going to put him on the heart transplant list just as a precation and if and when a heart becomes available depending on how he is doing they will either do the transplant surgery or cancel if he is doing well. What are the causes of this? I read that sleep apnea may have caused the a-fib but how about the enlarged heart? And does anyone really know one s live expectancy.

hiiii... my dad s heart is getting bigger ( doc says) .. he is having normal life now.. but i want to know what is the reason of it.. and how to cure it.. he is having diabetes .. and he also take peels for bp.. so please do me reply regarding this prob.. thank you

My 5mo old has a heart murmur. I did and so did my father as well. EKG came back normal. Chest X-Rays had one inconclusive and one heart could possibly be enlarged We live overseas. They have given us the option to take him to a larger hospital for an echo but they will sedate him. His pedi says his murmur sounded better this last time and we can wait for his 6mo and see how that goes if we so choose. He is thriving, no blueing, and very happy and active. Any advice?

Recent questions on Cardiovascular disease

My husband's heart is beating loudly and seems to be beating irregularly. I took his blood pressure and it was normal. His heart rate was 102bpm. He also has an urge to cough periodically. He's had these episodes happen before and the cough has helped at times. Do we need to be concerned? His father died from heart disease and started having an irregular heart beat when he was 35.

l am a 51yrs old sudanese schoolteacher 5 ft six inches of height 55kgs weight diagnoesd in Kuwait chest hospital in 1989 as a vsd sevesre pulmonary hypertension and not indicated for surgery i got married in 1998 with three duaghters 12_10_8 .l know my case very well and l ve heart disease history a younger brother had died of heart failure and four youger brothers died in their baby hood they were likely have the same disease .my parents are close relatives and they still alive with reasnable health according to thier age.l was hospitalised in1986and 2006 for haemoptasis. I have been suffering recently from feet swelling and neck and shoulders stiffness specially when l carry any something over ten kilos of weight accompanied with a high fever and l feel the area very hot a two days ago echo showed that the case is normal a chest xray showed in the day that heart is not enlarged but not in good health other lab results 2days ago esr 8 mm/h.hb119.5percent uricacid 6.0 my question is what are the exepected symptoms and comlications in this case and how to deal with them.email: YYYY@YYYY cell 0000

Hi Hoctor, My mother went to perform angiogram 2 years before. Doctors results shows of Ischaemic heart disease, Mild hypertensive heart n normal LV function. She under meditation for cholosterol n diabates. She having problem with occacasional cough n cold for d past 70 days... so what was d reason n what we should do?

my mother is a hypertensive patient currently taking the hypertension medication. recently her bp has been fluctuating from 140/85 to 220/12 in matter of hours. what tests should she do? the family physician is asking her to do CT scan, blood work, and etc. unfortunately, with no insurance, it is hard to get these done.. which one is most vital test that should be done first?

How do I help my wife of 40 + years who has developed dementia in the last two, getting worse all the time: memory, mood etc. I try to do everything I can for her but she does not cooperate a good share of the time. She sits in a recliner all day...

i lack vitamin D & Vitamin B12 .how manage this two naturally ?

I had completed my routine blood check up 5 days back, I have attached my report. Please review my report & let me know on the actions that need to be taken, am currently consuming 125 mg of thyroxine