How do you know if your heart is enlarged?

How do you know if your heart is enlarged ?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
By Palpation. Xray chest AP view (not PA view). ECG. Echo-cardiogram. There can be accumul;ation of fluid in advance stage.

my husband is 42 and has an enlarged heart and his doctor told him that they are going to put him on the heart transplant list just as a precation and if and when a heart becomes available depending on how he is doing they will either do the transplant surgery or cancel if he is doing well. What are the causes of this? I read that sleep apnea may have caused the a-fib but how about the enlarged heart? And does anyone really know one s live expectancy.

hiiii... my dad s heart is getting bigger ( doc says) .. he is having normal life now.. but i want to know what is the reason of it.. and how to cure it.. he is having diabetes .. and he also take peels for bp.. so please do me reply regarding this prob.. thank you

My 5mo old has a heart murmur. I did and so did my father as well. EKG came back normal. Chest X-Rays had one inconclusive and one heart could possibly be enlarged We live overseas. They have given us the option to take him to a larger hospital for an echo but they will sedate him. His pedi says his murmur sounded better this last time and we can wait for his 6mo and see how that goes if we so choose. He is thriving, no blueing, and very happy and active. Any advice?

Recent questions on  Cardiovascular disease

Hi I had sever mitral',valve reguritation in june when was pregnant, my last heart scan showed the leaking had slowed/stopped, I am due another heart scan next week, but these last few days been experiencing bad circulation in my feet when i get out of bed, have always had in my hands but never my feet,'will this be due to my heart problem?

Hello Dr, 41 year old, non-smoker, 1-5 units of alcohol a week, active, no other health issues. Family history of heart problems (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy ), have been checked and do not have it, although have a slight thickening of arterial knuckle which gets monitored. I m getting what feels like pulses or faint flutters from my oesophagus region to the top of my sternum region, these symptoms are infrequent during the day to sometimes non-existent, but at night the symptoms only occur when laid on my back or on my left side (they disappear when I m lying on my right side?) and feel more constant with a heart beat ie pulses at a constant rate. Occasionally have slight breathlessness since this has started 1 week ago. Now I ve had a slight upset stomach (although not constipated I ve not been regular) the last week and the symptoms do seem to be more present when I have heavy feeling in my stomach and then subside once I pass wind. Is the pulses/flutter linked to this and could be a blockage and wind not escaping? Or something else?

My husband's heart is beating loudly and seems to be beating irregularly. I took his blood pressure and it was normal. His heart rate was 102bpm. He also has an urge to cough periodically. He's had these episodes happen before and the cough has helped at times. Do we need to be concerned? His father died from heart disease and started having an irregular heart beat when he was 35.

Recently I have been experiencing a "racing heart" ulse rate upwards to 111, and general tiredness. Is this something to be concerned about since heart disease runs in my family, including a sibling that died from a heat attack at age 57. My age is 56

How do I help my wife of 40 + years who has developed dementia in the last two, getting worse all the time: memory, mood etc. I try to do everything I can for her but she does not cooperate a good share of the time. She sits in a recliner all day...

i lack vitamin D & Vitamin B12 .how manage this two naturally ?

I had completed my routine blood check up 5 days back, I have attached my report. Please review my report & let me know on the actions that need to be taken, am currently consuming 125 mg of thyroxine