How can thyrotoxicosis be treated?

I have been diagnosed with thyrotoxicosis and had two biopsies on a multinodular goiter.Several nodules came back clear but one is 40% for cancer. Surgery has been recommended since the one nodule is in the center of the gland and there are lots of nodules. I am not sure if 40% is enough to have surgery to remove the gland.
Tue, 26 Dec 2017
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi sir/ madam. We need further information. Thyrotoxicosis can be due to just hypersecretion of the gland or due to cancer. If cancer we need to know th type of thyroid cancer like papillary, follicular, medullary etc. The treatment is also dependent on type of cancer and the extent of involvement and the lobe involved. But if its proven to be a cancer, complete removal of the gland is must. We must also look into neck lymphnodes. If lymphnodes of the neck are involved even the neck lymphnodes has to be removed if it is proven to be a cancer. If it is not a cancer of thyroid then you can take medication and watch. If not reduced then it can be further planned. hope my information was helpful. Thank You