Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can swelling in the ankles be treated?

My dad last night went into the hospital for high blood pressure was 226 over 126 it went down the hospital was not concern call the doctor today he s got to take his blood pressure for a week but now we have a different problem he has an ankle that has ballooned and he has eaten ham and probably things that have been pretty salty what should we do
Tue, 6 Mar 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Probably, your father is suffering from Hypertension with cardia failure which may cause edema, abdominal distension and nausea.

First, please check once again blood pressure. If it is high, then he may need urgent blood pressure reducing with diuretic and other antihypertensive.

If he is having dyspnea, he needs ECG, and echo evaluation. He may also need renal function tests, serum cholesterol and liver function. So, consult the available physician immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Penchila Prasad Kandikattu
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I rolled my ankle stepping into a hidden hole. It knocked the wind out of me and I went down. Now almost 72 hours later, my foot is still swollen,...