Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

How can swelling due to mandible fracture be reduced ?

hi Dr. i had a mandibular fracture on my left jaw one month ago due to car accident , and a plate has been inserted ,but the swelling has not gone yet. I am 26 year old hight is 5 6\
Asked On : Sat, 23 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  123
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Gagan, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
When was the Operation done? It will take at least 2 to 3 Months for complete recovery, since you are younger it can be earlier also. Kindly do not worry and take your Medications regularly and go for regular follow up. If along with Swelling, if you develop any Pain, Fever, report to your Doctor immediately. Get adequate Rest and apply heat pads over it as it is known to reduce the swelling.

Wish you Good Health and Early Recovery, Take Care.
Answered: Sat, 23 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. MOHAMMAD SAIF's  Response
Hello Gagan,

You mentioned that you underwent surgery a month ago for the mandible fracture and the swelling still persists. I would also like to know that at the time of procedure any of your tooth/teeth were also extracted/removed?
The reason of the swelling may "NOT" be only due to the fractured mandible, swelling may be due to the following reasons also:

*Incomplete healing, you may wait for few more days
*Improper reduction of the fractured segments
*and at last and most important of all is some tooth may have become non-vital/dead due to which swelling may develop. So the tooth lying in the fracture line is mandatory to remove.

Apart from the fracture line the tooth/teeth which also sustained heavy blow may also become dead and may cause swelling.

Your jaw might be immobilized by wires, you may seek a dentist after it gets opened.

Hope it works for you. You may mail me pic of your OPG/X-ray for further opinion.
Answered: Sat, 23 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor