How can stomach discomfort be managed while suffering from IBS?

My husband and I are leaving on a cruise tomorrow
He has had IBS for years and has been taking Linzess 145mg's which have worked reasonably
well until recently. Right now he is in bed and I don't know how to help him with his stomach
distress. He won't go to a doctor now and so I'm wondering if there's any hope that peppermint
oil capsules that I read about in AARP magazine could give him relief.
I welcome any suggestions.
Thank you,
Ruth
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Drugs are useful for IBS with constipation, it can be improved with Normaxin or Librax, but if he is constipated need laxatives also. Avoid spicy food and alcohol. Avoid smoking and caffeine drinks. Use soft and high fiber diet. If symptoms not improved please consult your gastroentrologist. He will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.