Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

How can sinus infection be treated ?

what is the best cure for sinus infection?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Aug 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  171
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
I liked the way you put the question. You are very dot specific asking about it. To convince you I will try to answer it very specifically. Here it goes -

BEST CURE for SINUS INFECTION -- Amoxycillin + Clavulanic acid combination

Now, lot of contradiction will come from other experts if a discussion starts. This answer i put forward is very specific and based on my clinical day to day practice.
Few explanation - Sinus infection generally spreads from nose and nasopharynx which are mainly susceptible to penicillin group of antibiotics (Specifically amoxycillin. Clavulanic acid increases effectiveness of amoxycillin). You have asked about "sinus infection" and NOT Sinusitis (Sinus inflammation) that too about "best cure", so I believe "best cure" for any bacterial infection is antibiotis i.e., eradication of the bacteria and for sinus it is amoxycillin. BUT, infection will accompany inflammation and other supportive treatment like antihistaminic, mucolytic, NSAID, steam inhalation may be needed.
I hope i could convince you.
Thanks and take care
Answered: Sat, 5 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response

.sinus is a cavity in nasal bone & sinusitis is inflammation &infection of sinus IT's usually 2ndry to common cold that is mostly due to allergy /infection.( again a difficult entity to control) So the deep sited infection is v. difficult to cure.
It needs-investigations ,& a consitant treament.
-sufficiently long antibiotic & anti cold treatment.
-Vapour inhailation (with eucaliptus if not allergic to) regular & for a long period to clear the sinus.
-To avoid the allergens (the substnces instigating cold)
-desensatisation treatment to remove the allergy (for chronic sinus)
You have to consult ENT dr. & allegy specialist for proper dosage.
Answered: Mon, 8 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor