How can side effects of Simvastatin be managed?

After severe side effects on Simvastatin 40 Mg. the Doctor finally told me my severe muscle pain & hand joint pain was side effect of the medication & took me off of prescription. It has now been 5 weeks & I still have severe discomfort? I have been through every blood work that would show I have another problem but everything shows normal. Is it possible that I am still going through side effects from the Simvastatin? My life has been miserable...can you help me?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
In short : Yes! It is due to Simvastatin. It causes muscle dystrophy and muscle weakness. It is better to stop the medicine but I also advice you to do a blood investigation, lipid profile and serum creatinine tests to know whether your cholesterol level are within the normal limits. And to rule out any muscle breakdown.Follow up with the reports. Hope this will help.
Thank you