How can sharp pain behind the head be treated?

I have a sharp pain in the back of my head, at a specific point 2-3 inches behind my left ear, which is restricting my head movements, primarily when I look up and to the left. Could this be related to TMJ? I grind my teeth (and wear a night guard) and had TMJ in my jaw once, a few years ago. This head pain is new for me and has lasted for 4 days so far. I m wondering what to do.
Fri, 10 Aug 2018
Neurologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

TMJ is one possibility, but if this feels altogether different then, another consideration is that nerves that come from the spinal cord and serve the skin over the scalp of that area may be pinched or compressed due to some process in the cervical spine (C2, C3). You should see a neurologist for a thorough examination at this time.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.