How can severe pain due to scoliosis be managed?

Hi, I have AS, along with scoliosis, misaligned vertebrae and bone spurs. I can predict the rain coming before the weatherman. I am in constant pain all the time. I watch my diet, my weight, do stretches, take meloxicam, tumeric and a handful of other vitamins. The only relief I get is my tens unit, which I ve used the past 10 plus years. I m not fond of wearing patches and lead wires all the time, so I only wear it when I really can t stand the pain. I done physical therapy and seen a pain management doctor but I don t want needles in my neck or back and I don t want to have surgery. I ve lived with this pain for many years, but as I m getting older, it s getting worse, I m 65 years old and the quality of my life (in pain all the time) makes me miserable. Do you have any suggestions?
Sat, 6 Oct 2018
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Ankylosing spondylitis is really a very bad disease. Rheumatology should be consulted. In theory immune suppressants such as Methotrexate lower the progression of the disease. It is quite debilitating and even a Methadone program would not be a wrong direction for it.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Matt Wachsman,
Addiction Medicine Specialist