How can severe cough caused by choking on food be treated?

My husband must have gotten food down the wrong pipe. He has been coughing a lot but it does not seem to help. It feels like something is in center of chest. What should he do? He has tried drinking liquids but did not seem to help. Is this dangerous? He is 75.
Fri, 7 Dec 2018

So much of coughing should take out food particles from wind pipe. It seems the inhaled particle has caused inflammation in windpipe/the food inhaled was big or sticky or sort of piercing (like a fish bone) to have entered or stuck to the windpipe.

You should consult & get examined by a surgeon to examine you with his bronchoscope (if needful) to know the exact cause, followed by specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale,