Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
164 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can severe anxiety and depression be treated?

I am looking for a medicine for my grandaughter who has both intense anxiety and depression. She does not want to be around people, has constant headaches, is brilliant but failing in classes in school because she misses so many classes. Noise bothers her and she hides in bedroom often. This all happened about two years ago. She is 18 now and has good parents. She has two sisters who do not have any signs of anxiety or depression. She was fine, shy, till about two years ago for no reason I can detect. At first I thought it was hormones but they came back normal. She is on cymbalta, gabapentin, and has taken hydroxene all with little to no positive effect. She does not go on family trips and when does go to dinner really has very little to say and often prefers to go to car to be alone. She does not drink or do drugs. When she has a good hour or two she is very loving and tells you she loves you and hugs you. Her mom, my daughter, does not know what to do. She she a psychiatrist for the meds and a counselor for her feelings but nothing so far has helped. The only things she does get excited about is when she is around dogs. She loves our dog and often wants us to bring her over to her house. She can be in a good mood for an hour or two and then quickly mood changes and she just wants to lay on the couch or go to sleep for hours at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sat, 27 Oct 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Severe anxiety and depression can be treated with medications and therapy.

In psychiatry often it requires some trial and error to find the exact drug that works for a patient.

I would recommend to continue seeing the psychiatrist and let him know your daughter's progress.

He will eventually find a combination that is effective for your daughter. Most importantly don't lose hope.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr. Saralkumar R. Desai, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I need some help. I do have an apoitment with mental health but not until December. I was in detox for alchole about a month ago. Upon returning...